Friday 23 September 2016

Why I'm a Leader

Why is Sahil a leader?


Ken Kesey once said, “You don’t lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case” What makes a great leader? Well, a great leader has many different qualities, including; focus, confidence, integrity, inspiration, passion, decisiveness, and accountability. Leadership does not come walking through your front door every day, and must be earned.What is leadership? Would you consider yourself to be a leader? These are both questions I personally receive more often than not. When these questions come into play, I usually think about many activities, both in and out of school. These activities must include a situation, in which I have taken on a leadership role.


For instance, I have had to execute the lead role in many tough situations. Once these situations come upon, you must have the faith, and self-confidence inside telling you, you are capable of completing the task assigned. During my life, I have been assigned  tasks which I have had to take over the lead role, ranging from hockey, volunteering, school projects, and just my regular daily life.


During hockey, many of my peers, and superiors have recognized my ability to lead. For this reason, is why I have been able to lead numerous hockey teams. Whether I’m leading a pre-game warm up, making sure everyone is focussed on the task at hand, or taking many risks, by leading a new play during the game. These are all huge leadership roles, where numerous personnel, including your superiors, are counting on you to perform and succeed under pressure.  Even on teams, I have participated on, in the past, which didn’t have a designated leader. On occasion, I still had to step in and take over the leadership role, to make sure everyone was on the same page. For example, if a member of the team was not understanding what to do in a particular situation during a game, or even during a practice, I would jump in and direct them through their troubled period of times.

While volunteering, a lot of trust is being instilled into you. For instance, your superiors are counting on you as a volunteer, not to act immature, but to be on top of the tasks at-hand. In my case, while I was volunteering with my local hockey organization, I had to organize, and lead a group of six and seven-year- olds, through a series of drills on the ice, lasting four hours, for four days. My responsibilities as a leader also included making sure these six, and seven-year- old kids, didn’t get lost or mixed into a different group.


If you have ever been assigned a group project, chances are you've taken on a leadership role in completing this task. In my case, I have had to do many group projects. During group projects, your partner, or partners could all be busy, or have a personal issue pop up at the last second. Unfortunate, or fortunately for me, I have been in a situation where I have had to take on the leadership role  and complete the project on time for everyone in the group. I have also been in many situations where I have become the leader of a group project. Having been able to do so, I have developed a lot of self-confidence, and great leadership skills to continue to do so in the future.

After re-discovering all the different ways I have been able to be a leader; including hockey, group projects, and volunteering I realized something very valuable. I am not a leader because of how high my voice can project, I am a leader because of my actions, and the way people around me visualize, and process my unique skills. During all of these different leadership activities, I have been able to come out a better leader, in fact, I have been able to come out as a leader with my own strategies. We are all different people, and we are all going to lead in our own ways. I can truly say, I am a leader.







No comments:

Post a Comment