Tuesday 15 November 2016

Algernon’s Point of view

Journal entry one:
Greetings,
my name is Algernon, I am a little white mouse who has never fit in with the others. The only thing keeping me going is my courageous attitude. All of the others think they are better than me because of their abilities to maintain knowledge, and their general intelligence level. This hasn’t stopped me though, because I have always dreamt of going to Beekman University, and I won’t stop until this goal has been completed. Everyday I imagine myself showing the other mice my ability to complete the toughest mazes in the world, and then just imagine their reactions! My intelligence will rise, and so will I!
Journal entry two:
Today I met three men by the name of, “Dr.Strauss,” “Professor Nemur,”and “Burt. “I met them because one of my other friends recommended me for some kind of operation, which can apparently increase my intelligence. I didn’t even know this was possible, but all three of them seem nice, and I am really considering undergoing this operation. They told me I would be the first living creature to have ever undergone this kind of operation. At first I was a little scared knowing I would potentially be the first creature they tested this operation out on, because if something went wrong I would never be the same, and they haven’t guaranteed this will work, but then I realized I have nothing to lose.



Journal entry three:
I've made a critical decision, which I think will pay off in the long run if it works. I have officially agreed to partake in the operation. Strauss, Nemur, and Burt reminded me of the potential side effects, including not working at all, but I am highly motivated to succeed and I know it will pay off. Well the operation just finished, and i’m feeling highly motivated to learn and compete, as I want to showcase my new skills.
Journal entry four:
Today the doctor’s took me up to the 4th floor of Beekman University, because the laboratory is there. I also met a strange man named Charlie, and from what I heard he is also on a quest to gain more intelligence, and prove to his friends that he can keep up. I wanted to show Charlie how smart I was, as I gained three times the amount of intelligence I had previously. To demonstrate this, Burt put me inside of a maze and started to time how fast I could complete the maze. My strategy is simple, I go in a direction until I am unable to continue, and once I hit a dead end I reset and proceed to go in the other direction until I am able complete. Not to be cocky or anything but I do finish pretty quickly. Charlie was very keen on racing me, and frankly I wanted to prove to the doctors that I could beat an actual human in a race, so Burt set up my maze differently in order to make it identical to some sort of writing maze, which Charlie had to complete. The race began and boy was I ever excited, I ran through the start and moved quickly through the maze. I couldn’t really tell whether or not I won, but judging by Burt’s reaction it was pretty evident I won. With some clarification I was able to pull off the victory, but Charlie wanted a rematch. Well we didn’t only have a rematch, we competed 10 more times, and I was able to pull off the victory in all 10. I hope we can do this more often to prove to everyone that I am indeed intelligent.
Journal entry five:
Well today I was brought back to the laboratory because the doctors wanted Charlie to race me again. They gave us a series of races to see who would finish first, and I am very excited to say I pulled off the victory in all of them. I am starting to think Charlie has grown to be angered with me, because I keep beating him in these races. Well I hate to say it but Charlie actually beat me in a race. I got a little bit of redemption as I beat him the second time, but then he beat me eight more times continuously. I didn’t know whether I was angered, surprised, or happy, because I don’t want to get beaten, and I know I can beat him, as I beat him numerous times in the previous session, but at the same time i’m happy, because I learnt he also decided to pursue the operation, and he is finally gaining intelligence to understand his friends.
Journal entry six:
Well yesterday was interesting and today was even more. I was able to experience my first plane ride yesterday, and today I get to experience an event in Chicago, in which I will be one of the main attractions. Well I didn’t think I would get this irritated but the smoke, the buzzing, and unaccustomed surroundings were making me nervous, and to make matters worse, I was trapped in a cage. Well finally it was my turn to showcase my skills, as the doctors put me through a test where I would have to show my steps in order to get my meal. Well I was really eager on getting out of the cage, and Charlie helped me out. I’m not quite sure why he helped me, but none the less I bolted out of that cage, and scampered across the long table and then onto the platform, and then onto the ground. Dr. Nemur then noticed me, and screamed at people to catch me. They all tried to corner me but I managed to escape and make my way to some kind of ladies washroom. I then heard them scream, and tell people I was in there, but luckily Charlie came in and put me into his pocket. He then put me into his pocket and told me to be quiet. I’m not sure where we were going, but all I know is that we left Chicago on a plane, in which I was forced to spend in a shoebox.


Journal entry seven:
     Well Charlie and I have moved into an apartment in New York. I’m not exactly sure of the whereabouts, because Charlie kept me in his jacket pocket on the way here. Charlie has also been generous, as of late, because he let’s me eat, even when I haven’t completed a tough challenge, unlike the doctors. Well Charlie built me a three-dimensional maze, which I am proud to say I can easily complete, even when he increases the level of difficulty. I am just wondering why he doesn’t give me a reward for completing them, but none the less I have joy just solving them. I’m not sure why, but I get very angered during some of the tests, and I even throw myself against the wall. I’m not quite certain what is causing this anger, but I know I am fully capable of completing the mazes very rapidly. Charlie also met a new friend, she’s a girl and I’m pretty sure she lives in this building but I’m not sure. She’s very nice, today she brought another mouse who is a girl named Minnie, and so far she’s fine. I don’t know what is happening to me but I seem to be getting more violent everyday, because I bit Charlie’s friends thumb, and I bit Minnie, while she was in the reward box. I really want to learn why I’m getting violent but I think I might know why.
Journal entry eight:
Today Charlie and I went back to the laboratory to conduct some tests in mazes I have done in the past. I was having a lot of difficulty in one of the multiple problem boxes, and it looked like Burt was becoming disappointed, as I was able to complete these before. Even I didn’t know why I was having so much difficulty with this, and I just hope it’s because of my time away from the laboratory.





Journal entry nine:
Today Charlie conducted some more tests on me, and at times I was able to complete them, but other times I had lots of trouble, specifically when I met a dead end, I would act violently and throw myself against the wall. Now days I don’t even feel like doing anything. It’s almost like my intelligence is going down, or maybe something more, which I am currently unaware about.
Journal entry 10:





Bibliography:

Keyes, Daniel. Flowers For Algernon. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World, 1966. Print.(Keyes 6,7,8,18,19,31,156,157,162,163,164,165,172,179,188,189,214,216,239,258)

No comments:

Post a Comment