Wednesday 5 October 2016

Five Reason Why I love Hockey

Hockey has been my number one passion since I was mentally capable of remembering and processing things. Just the excitement and goosebumps I get when somebody talks about hockey are truly indescribable. In a way hockey is a therapeutic way for me to clear my mind, and is a true stress reliever. Hockey is my world outside of this world. If hockey didn’t exist, I don’t think I would exist, just the feeling when you dig your skates into the ice and feel the smooth gliding between your feet and the ice are magical. My favourite aspect of hockey is scoring goals. I have a drive to put the puck in the net every time I get on the ice. My blog is for me to not only document my personal learning, but it is for me to input personal stories about me as a person. What better opportunity would I get to show people my true passion!

1.) Equipment
This is probably my most guilty pleasure about hockey. Equipment is extremely costly, and sometimes the equipment I have been ranting about to my parents may not match their approvals/wallets. Hockey sticks are probably my favourite pieces of equipment, but are also one of the most expensive pieces of equipment. Every Time I visit a hockey store, which allows you to test out hockey sticks, I jump on the opportunity. Unfortunately the $350 stick I was trying out is considered way too expensive. But fortunately this equipment goes on sale on black friday!

2.) Game Day
Game day is the most important but yet most fun time in hockey. Although you really need to focus on gaining points for your team to hopefully make the playoffs, you learn overtime to put the pressure aside and enjoy every second that you are on the ice.Your teammates, and crowd are two main components, as they help take the stress off of you. Your teammates act as a support unit, who go to battle with you and keep you focussed on playing the game, while the lively feeling of the crowd really lightens your mood and keeps you pushing.

3.) Scoring
As you might be able to tell, I am really motivated to score, as it provides a feeling which is unlike anything. Knowing that you have accomplished something which benefits not only you, but a group of people you are extremely close with, really makes me even more motivated to get the next goal. Scoring is also one of the most fun components of hockey, due to the hard work, required to accomplish it.


4.) Teamwork
Teamwork is a huge part of my game. If I haven’t included someone in a component of a play we are going to perform, I feel like I have done something wrong. Once you excel and achieve the heights of a competitive level, hockey becomes all about teamwork. If you ever want to succeed you need all five guys on the ice to contribute every shift. The tempo of the game is just too high for one individual to score every shift. Cooperation, more specifically sharing the puck, is one of the most important parts of hockey, as ultimately it’s the only thing that will win you consecutive games.

5.) Hard work
Hard work is the only way you will achieve anything in life, as it is the key to every success story. I have personally been through a lot of adversity when it comes to hockey, but the only way to tackle adversity, is to be hard working. Every Time I fail to meet a personal goal, I work even harder to tackle it. In hockey, there were always those years where I would get cut from a team which I knew I personally worked hard enough to make. So every summer I would push myself even harder just to tackle my goals. Whether it was going to the gym, or playing more hockey my mind was set on proving to myself that my hard work pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment